Back to School Webinar
Epilepsy Alliance America hosted a Back to School Seizure Preparedness Webinar on September 13, 2022. The webinar was produced by Epilepsy Alliance America and funding was provided by Neurelis, Inc.
Don’t worry if you missed it. You can watch the entire webinar, or segments of it, here.
Prepare Your School
- School Personnel Training – Ensure that all staff at the school are trained in Seizure Recognition and First Aid. Download and Provide Posters for School if they do not have them available.
- Schedule a meeting with School Staff (or include during a scheduled 504 or IEP meeting) to discuss any accommodations needs and the Seizure Action Plan.
- Prepare for your IEP or 504 Meeting. Several of our member organizations provide Special Education Advocacy services to assist you.
- When possible, meet the teachers and other school personnel who will have the most contact with your child. Share their Seizure Action Plan with them but ‘bring it to life’ with other information including what is ‘typical’ for your child.
- Make sure your child’s classroom is prepared. Do they have a seizure comfort kit? It could include a pillow, a blanket, an extra set of clothing, a special snack, or anything else to help your child post-seizure.
- Complete any forms required for medication – including Anti-Seizure Drugs, (ASDs) as well as Rescue Medications. Get an extra labeled bottle of medication for the school if you child takes medication on campus.
Work with your school to educate your child’s classmates about Epilepsy and Seizures. Education is key to reducing stigma.
Seizure ID Products
Ensure that you have a wearable item to indicate to people that you have epilepsy in case you have a seizure in a setting without people who know you have epilepsy. Epilepsy Alliance America can provide a $35 coupon to individuals with epilepsy towards a product from GetMyId.com.
Epilepsy can too often be an isolating condition. Consider finding a support group for you and your family.
Learn more about the Member Organizations of Epilepsy Alliance America and the programs and services they offer to people with epilepsy and their families.
Articles and Additional Resources
Our Strategic Partner, Child Neurology Foundation has prepared Back to School resources for families. These tools and resources give special consideration to the COVID-19 Pandemic and in-person learning.